Friday, January 20, 2012

Chapter 29 - Surprises

When the doorbell rings, Tiara isn't really expecting anyone in particular. Maybe a pizza that Megan happened to order, maybe the newspaper deliverer complaining about all the shredded newspaper on her front porch.

She definitely isn't expecting the man she last bedded.


"Jamie?"

"Hey, Tiara." He's dressed in a familiar outfit, one she's pretty sure she might've worn before, and she wonders why he's stopping by her house when he's got to be at work so soon.

And why the hell does he look so angry?

"Can I come in?" he asks, words flaking with annoyance.

"Uh, yeah, sorry. Just wasn't expecting you. C'mon in."


Toulouse welcomes the stranger to his humble abode, but is soundly ignored.


Marie is reading her book in the background, but she immediately keys in on the seriousness of the conversation before it can even begin. Her page turns become quieter, her eyes more watchful.

"So," Jamie begins with a scowl. "Were you going to tell me?"

"What?"

"That you had my kid?"

For the first time, Tiara wonders how the hell people keep figuring this shit out. But she keeps her face schooled in indifference and doesn't even sigh. "Should I ask?"

"Word gets around." Jamie pauses. "And Gussie's got a damn big mouth. Doesn't take long for a guy like me to draw conclusions."

Tiara is silent, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Were you just gonna keep it quiet until you needed something? Or were-"

"Would you like to see him?"

"What?"

Tiara's had enough of the accusations that she's just some chick who'd sleep with a guy, have his kid, and then use that kid for ransom money. She looks at Jamie with sad eyes and a frown. "Would you like to see Max?"

"..." Jamie's scowl softens into a vague appearance of confusion, but he nods. "Yeah. Yeah, sure."


She retrieves Max and appears moments later. "This is Maxwell Toft. He's due to grow up in a few days. He's got my eyes but-"

"But my hair," Jamie murmurs, taking in Max with a rather neutral expression. But slowly, wonder starts to peek in. "It's kind of...scary," he says softly, a hint of a chuckle on his tone. "LaKecia looks just like her mother: black, ethnic hair, the whole nine yards. Didn't get a lick of me in her. But this kid..."

Tiara nods slowly and speaks with a hesitant voice. "Yeah. He looks just like you."


Max gives his father a curious look, though no smile.

Jamie rubs the back of his neck with a little sigh. "Tiara, I, uh...do you want to, uh..."

She spares him the embarrassment. "I'm happier as a single woman than I'd ever be in a relationship, Jamie."

"Cool." He nods, clearing his throat. "But could I...could I still come see him sometimes?"

In all honesty, it's a breath of fresh air to hear a man say right out that he wants some time with his kid too. "The second he's a child, he can make that decision for himself. But you're welcome at his birthday."


"Thank you." For a moment, his expression turns tender, even a little passionate as he looks into Tiara's eyes, sheer gratitude in every inch of his posture.

It makes Tiara wonder what it would've been like if they'd made a go at it. But then she remembers that anger in his eyes, the way that for a moment she was terrified, and she writes it off.

No. No, there's only one man she could ever see herself being with for the rest of her life, and her remaining time feels so short that she knows it will never happen.


Jamie's eyes shift to Max again and he smiles softly. "All right, I've gotta get to work. But thank you again. Send me the invitation, okay?"

"I will."


He runs off and Tiara finally lets her vice-like grip on Max loosen slightly. This is still her son, regardless of who supplied the other half of his genes. Let the man who tries to take him from her rue the day.


Melissa and Max play later in the evening. They are frans.


Megan, meanwhile, rips a tomato open and finds its seeds with a happy sort of vengeance.

"Can I go inside yet?"

"Hell no. It's dark. You're gonna just leave me to the wolves?"

Marie sighs patiently. "Megan, there aren't any wolves in Appaloosa Plains."

"Buuuuuullshit."

"You don't even know how to garden."

"Yeah, well, I'm gonna learn! Ooh! Burn!"


"That was a horrible burn."

"Shut up, I'm making life!"


At dinner, Megan informs Melissa of the best way to get on Tiara's good side for when she becomes a teenager and starts breaking curfew too.


"But what if she catches me with a boy?"

"Sis, that would mean that you'd have to even get a boy."


"URGH."

"HAHA, just kidding. No, but seriously, you won't get a boy. You gotta get a MAN. Men are the only ones worth your time."

"You don't even have one!"

"Yet."

------

I love it when  Sims show up at your door with absolutely no warning and it works perfectly for your story purposes.

4 comments:

  1. You know you need to make Megan less hot. She's very distracting. I had to read the last half twice cause I kept staring at her instead of actually paying attention to the story. (Those Toft genes! Daaaamn!)

    I'm glad Jamie calmed down and I hope Max lets him into his life. (And maybe one day Gussie can be less of an ass)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I'm finally caught up. YUSSS!!!!

    Anyway; I love Megan. She's absolutely adorable and hilarious.

    I'm glad that Jamie wants to be in his sons life, even marginally. And I hope he and Max do strike up a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture with tiara holding max, he looks like her! They have the exact same look in their eyes hehe

    ReplyDelete