Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chapter 25 - Rebellion

Mercifully, Tiara manages to sneak Jamie out that evening before any of her girls can get wind of it all.


Marie isn't a naive little kid, though. She's not only a teenager, but a genius. It's pretty easy for her to figure out things based on the tiniest of clues.

"...and he has a daughter named LaKecia. LaKecia! Isn't that the silliest name you've ever heard? Ah...but it almost makes me miss being pregnant. There's such an emotional drive behind it, knowing that it's no longer just you. You've got this other little thing hanging out inside of you that's depending on you. Watcher!"

Marie calmly chews her bite of food before she swallows. "So, do you think you're gonna see him again?"

"Who?"

"Jamie? The guy you just spent last night with?"

Megan's a little too naive to pick up on Marie's meaning, but Tiara looks at her eldest daughter with a frown all the same. "Why would I do that? Last night was fun, but..."


Even though Megan's just sat down and is discussing art, one of Marie's favorite subjects, she stands up wordlessly and makes her way to the sink with her plate.

Tiara frowns, turning things over in her head, before she follows, leaving Megan to chat nervously with Dizzy and Toulouse instead as she senses the tension.


Tiara stretches and yawns obnoxiously behind her daughter, trying to cool things off. "UGH. Plumbob. I am so tired."

Marie continues to wash her dish. "Oh, are you?"

"Yeah. It's crazy. I haven't been this sore in months."

"Hmm." Marie's tone doesn't change in the slightest even as she speaks. "Now, was this before or after you became the town bicycle?"

"..." Tiara stares at Marie, eyes huge, and wonders at the feeling of her heart shattering in her chest. "What?"

"You heard me."

"No, I don't think you made yourself clear enough, so why don't you tell me again?"


Leaving her dish in the sink, Marie whirls on her mother. "I am so freaking tired of you running around with all these guys and refusing to commit. Once, just ONCE, can you go on a second date?!" Marie leans close to Tiara and sucks in a shaky breath, trying to convince herself that she's not going to cry. "Do you know what Megan said to me a few days ago?"

Tiara is silent.

"She told me she wants a daddy. A DADDY, Mom. And you know, I'm starting to think that might be pretty cool, actually, having a guy around for longer than how long it takes you to sneak him into your bedroom? Ever think of that?"


If she was sad before, Tiara is equally as furious now. "You ungrateful...I...do you know what I gave up to adopt you? Do you have any CLUE what I go through on a daily basis just to support you girls? And if I want to have a little FUN, I don't think I should be yelled at by some selfish little girl because- Marie. MARIE. Where the hell do you think you're going?!"

Marie tears out of the house, holding her breath to try to keep the tears in, but they course down her cheeks anyway.


The beach is where she's heading, and by the time that she's run a quarter of the way and taken a taxi for the rest, her tears are dry. She just feels...dead. Numb. She knew this would happen. She just knows that she'll go home tonight and find all her bags packed with Tiara waiting for her to leave.

"Well, this looks miserable."

Marie wipes the snot from her nose before she looks over her shoulder, hoping her eyes aren't as red as she expects they are. "What?"

"There's this pretty girl on the beach who looks really upset. That's just not right."


"I...excuse me?"

"...I'm not doing this right, am I?" The guy grins at her and rubs the back of his neck. "My name's Dirk Hanley. We go to school together?"

"...we do?"

"Geez, good to know I've been making a good impression," Dirk murmurs with a chuckle.


Under any other circumstance, she'd be a little creeped out by this guy...but there's something comforting about someone taking notice of her being upset and wanting to make it better in their own little way.


The time passes remarkably quickly when they find out that they have a few things in common. For example, they both feel like they need to be anchors for their family, and it is incredibly important to them that their family always be provided for.


Marie ends up spilling everything to him: her worries about her mother, her worries about how it will affect her younger sisters, everything.

And, amazingly enough, Dirk is right there beside her listening, never once judging or making her feel bad for her worries. He's more comforting than she could ever imagine someone being.


By the time that nightfall comes and they are joined by a friend of Dirk's, Marie pictures her mother worrying about her, maybe wondering where she is, and reluctantly parts ways with them. But just before she does, Dirk steals her phone and types his number into it. "Call me," he murmurs with a grin, and she beams.


When she gets home, there's no suitcases packed. There's no angry parent waiting to beat her. Instead, Tiara is away at work, and the babysitter is rather relieved to see Marie. "Oh, thank Watcher, I thought you'd NEVER be here!" She shoves baby Melissa into Marie's arms with a scoff. "She's been crying all freaking night long and I'm sick of it. Look, I've already been paid, so I'm out of here."

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Marie promptly calms Melissa with a snuggle and a warm bottle before setting to help teach her to talk.


In the morning, Tiara is there when Marie prepares her leftovers for breakfast. They eat in silence.


A few moments into their food, Tiara looks up at her. "Jamie's it. No more, okay? I'm done with it all."

Marie glances down at Tiara's belly under the cut-off t-shirt she is wearing and recognizes the bright blue pants she's wearing. She's only worn them before for her pregnancy. In a moment, she understands. "...okay." More silence. "I love you, Mom. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorrier. And I love you too, daughter."


They fall silent again, but this time it's okay.

------

Awkward chapter to write. Didn't get everything that I was hoping for. But that's what happens when you take way too few screenshots, haha. :)

3 comments:

  1. Aww. I didn't think it was awkward at all. Actually, I found it rather touching. Mother/daughter relationships are tough, but I'm so glad Tiara and Marie made up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Buckley, that was so touching <3. I was so sad when Marie and Tiara had their fight, so I'm glad they managed to patch things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm finally caught up!
    I really love Tiara and her daughters.

    ReplyDelete